My guide to screwdrivers. This will hook you up for all things requiring a Phillips or Flathead Driver.

5-in-1 Screwdriver Sometimes also marketed as a 4-in-1, this is halfway between a conventional screwdriver and a magnetic bit driver. Magnetic bits always seem to fail to retain their bits at the worst possible moment, but a 5-in-1 (and the Klein is excellent) will handle a large majority of your Phillips and Flathead screw needs.

Husky 8-in-1 Miniature Screwdriver Similiar to the 5-in-1, this little widgey has replaced the older jewelers screwdrivers that seemed to line the bottom of my tool bag.

Those two tools above will handle 99% of your fastener tool needs for less than $20. Keep a set in your drawer, you car, keep 'em handy as you will use them over and over again. Now for the more pricey specialty stuff.

Conventional Screwdriver Assortment As others have mentioned, sometimes, you NEED a regular screwdriver. 99% of the time, these will hang neatly on your bench and the 5-in-1 will do the work, but sometimes you need the reach, strength or thinness of a conventional. I favor Kleins as Cooper Tools (The parent company, also makers of Xcellite tools), uses good steel and the tips of their screwdrivers can take abuse without deforming too much. They are a little more pricey than Craftsman though (though worth it IMHO).

Huge Flat Blade It is better to think of this less of as a screwdriver and more of as a narrow prybar. Make sure you get a brand that has a lifetime guarantee.

Extra-Long No.2 Phillips, Extra Long 3/16 Slotted Sometimes, though rarely, you need that extra reach. Another Bench Queen.

Ratcheting Offset Screwdriver Rarely used, but invaluable when you need it to get into an impossible place. I DON'T favor bits for this style, as they have a larger profile, and you are quite likely to lose the bit in a hard to reach place.

No.2 Phillips Stubby, 3/16 Slotted StubbyA set of stubbies for those that can't be answered by above. Yet another "rainy day" type of tool.

Cordless Electric Screwdriver I DO NOT recommend a cordless driver for metal on metal work (machine screws), as they have a tendency to strip heads, but in softer materials (wood screws), a cordless is a nice time saver. I favor Dewalt in power tools, they really outperform Craftsmen.

Magnetic Pickup For picking up the inevitably dropped screw.

Screw Starter I don't use this as often as I should, but YOU should use one if you are in danger of dropping a screw somewhere you shouldn't.