Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
That's why I don't buy American cars. I rented a Ford once. God what a mass produced hunk of crap. I'll stick to Toyota considering most Toyotas sold in America are made more so in America now than Ford. Last I heard a lot of Ford's parts were made in Mexico whereas...my Toyota was built 100 miles away in Jacksonville totally.

Vehicles built by foreign-owned carmakers at assembly plants located in the U.S. and Canada for sale in the U.S. had 66.2% domestic content, while domestic makers (Ford, GM, and Chevy) are at 80%. Therefore, right now domestics do use more domestic parts and build more vehicles in the US than import manufacturers. Ford also has the vehicle with the most domestically produced parts in their E-series vans.

You also have to be careful, as cars like the Civic, Accord, and Altima go through final assembly stateside, but are made with majority imported parts.

Nowadays you have to look at particular models more than brands. Just sticking with Toyota or Ford isn't enough. You have to research each individual vehicle. Right now Ford's F150 is rated as more reliable and has a higher US made parts content than Toyota's Tundra or GM's Silverado. So even though the Toyota is a real hotrod when it comes to trucks and the Silverado has the nicest interior, I would probably go with the F150.

With that said though, I was the one who convinced my father to look at the Lexus RX330 instead of the Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator. I have my bias like everyone, but I do my research (both on paper and in person) and have no qualms about picking what I find to be the better vehicle.