"Cat Training Device" takes me back to the cats as pushsticks thread on the wooddorking ng.

anyway, don't run out and buy a whole load of tools all at once. You'll end up with a bunch of clutter and never be able to find half of them.

buy yourself one or more tool boxes and categorize them. i have one for general around the house work, has my hammer, level, tape measure, etc. then I have another for mechanical type of work, wrenches, socket sets, etc. Its one of those with a few little drawers for each type. It sits on top of a rolling tool cheat which has more specific things like jack stands, compression tester, etc. so if I'm doing basic work around the house i can just grab that box and have everything I need. Automotive work I can roll the whole mechanics type chest to where I need stuff.
I have a lot of wooddorking tools too so i have a nice rolling box for those for when I'm actually doing a nice big project.

look for sales at places like sears for christmas and fathers day, then wait and go the week after. sears espically will have a 21 piece socket set for $29.99 for a fathers day sale. The week after they will clear it out at $19.99 to make room for the new improved 20 piece set for $29.99. I've bought most of my tools that way. A guy I worked with took my suggestion and went in the week after a big sale and pointed to the big 4x4 display hanging above the isle with a huge several piece set of tools strapped to it and saw the shelf below it and told them he wanted that set. they couldn't find any more in stock so they sold him the display and he strapped it to the roof of his little car and drove it back to the office where we proceeded to laugh at a what looked like a billboard on the top of his car until he showed us the $500 price tag and the receipt showing he paid $50 for it.