TomApple
I am glad you are friends with indian peoples and yes the political correctness has gone to far. I am of Pamunkey heritage, and did not identify that because many people have no idea what that is or where they exsist (aka eastcoast). Powhatan is more of a popular term, at least in my circles.
As far as the Powhatan Confederation goes, they are still recognized at local pow wows. Another reason I use Powhatan, because most of the other Pamunkeys I have met are assholes.
My great grandfather walked off the Pamunkey reservation, and settled in the area where I live today, in Virginia. I hunt the same woods that my fore fathers did, and I will speak for whom I please. I am not 100% indian, but I will never be 100% white either. I am proud of my heritage and un-apologetic in that.
But the point I want to make is this was not a issue of political correctness. If someone wants to call an indian an injun, how is it different than calling a Black person the N word?
It IS derogatory, in my mind (Honest Injun, or not). I have no problem accepting Benjamin's apology if I think it is sincere, and he seems to be. No one ever accused me of NOT being a hothead. That will have to be my apology for that. wink
I would just be mindful of the use of that term, when you don't know how it will be recieved.

Edited by Run2The9 (01/25/08 03:47 PM)