Sorry, but if in the example you gave you had exercised better judgement before getting hitched, then the outcome would not have happened. The whys and wherefores won't change that fact.

This is not to say marriage is absolute. Some people will get divorced due to situations such as the one you cite. If the cheating spouse didn't take her committment serious enough to remain faithful and committed to the relationship, then I would say you chose poorly in a matter of the highest importance, and I would be reluctant to place trust in you for certain things. It wouldn't mean that you are worthless to me, likely it would never be an issue. For really critical matters, though, I'd be looking for a 2nd opinion.

I am glad to hear you are happily married, and my greatest hope for you is that it will only improve.

I guess growing up with a mom who's married and divorced 5 times now has me convinced there are certain constants regarding the human equation.

Were my wife to run off and leave me I would feel the same about myself.

If my wife was regretful about cheating on me and wanted to reconcile, I would take her back. I would not file for divorce if she left. That's just me. I doubt she'd come back to me, though. She'd have to sleep with one eye open the rest of her life I suspect.