Originally Posted By: benjammin

Marriage was never intended as a trial offer. Somehow our society has allowed it to be considered as such. This isn't a religious argument, but a question of character and integrity, for if you don't get this committment right, how can you be trusted to live up to any of lesser significance?

Ben has a real point IMHO. I've been happily married for 25 years and the other 10 haven't been too bad. (I can write that here 'cause my DW will never see it, she hates that joke.) But it does represent what happens in real life. Not every marriage is hugs and kisses every single day, maybe not any if people are truthful. You have to be willing and able to survive the bad times, the mediocre times and fun times to make a marriage last. And that takes committment to your spouse, to the kids, to the institution of marriage. It ain't for the faint hearted. The benefit is that when TSHTF as in when your parents die, or the job goes south or your kid calls to tell you she just spent a week in a hospital in Fiji, you have a partner who backs you up and vice versa. But you don't get to that point easily, it takes a lot of hard work and love and tolerance. (That sound you just heard was me falling off the soapbox and into the pile of laundry I've go to do.)

Back to the question of the topic, I'd suggest using a version of STOP when facing Blast's situation:

S=Stop and listen to what she means, not what she's saying.
T=Take a minute to think before opening your mouth, like a bullet leaving a muzzle, ain't no way to recall something stupid said.
O=offer to do what she wants regardless of whether it's what you think should be done (you can always fix it your way later).
P=Practice patience at all times, the hug you get at the end of the day is worth the wait.