Where it concerns my wife, I have only one #1 rule to follow:

1. She's the most important thing in my life, the highest achievement I can ever attain, the closest I will ever come to heaven on earth. When she's not with me it's like losing my arms and legs, only more painful and debilitating. Making her happy brings me the greatest joy I can hope for. I need to think and act accordingly.

Marriage was never intended as a trial offer. Somehow our society has allowed it to be considered as such. This isn't a religious argument, but a question of character and integrity, for if you don't get this committment right, how can you be trusted to live up to any of lesser significance?

When I find out someone's been through a divorce, my opinion of them drops. Either they exercise extremely poor judgment, or their word can't be trusted, or they are vile deviants who are incapable of caring for anyone or anything, or a combination thereof. There is no circumstance imaginable that doesn't fit into one of those three categories.