Having slept on a cot at 10,000 feet during an Elk hunting trip to Colorado for 8 days in November of 2005, I will say it can be done.

Once I set the cot up, down went a closed cell foam sleeping pad (the cheap ½ inch variety). On top of that went an old wool blanket I carry around with me. My sleeping bag is an old 2 part army surplus sleeping bag and inside that went a fleece liner.

At night I would heat up water and put that in a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle and threw that into my sleeping bag about 30 minutes before going to bed. I wouldn’t waste the water, but rather drink it the next day. I would then change into long underware that was used for nothing but sleeping to ensure dryness. However, I did notice that my legs got too warm and sweat a bit on a couple of night.

DO NOT forget to wear a good stocking cap at night when you sleep. One night it fell off and I swear someone dumped a bag of ice into my sleeping bag.

A tip I used and the other guys wish they had thought of was the use of a "pee" bottle. I use a 32 ounce wide-mouth ;-) Nalgene bottle with the YELLOW cap. I keep it next to my cot when I sleep and instead of having to completely get out of my sleeping bag and go outside to urinate, I simply rise up to my knees, use my pee bottle and then lay back down. No boots, no tripping over gear, no fumbling for the tent zipper at 2:00AM, no freezing your tail off going outside in freezing temperatures.

Regards,
Steve