The Black Hills Institute in Hill City, South Dakota is a really fine paleontological institution, but I doubt they are a medical authority on treatment of snakebite. This poultice jazz is news to me. It probably "works" like so many snakebite cures - the victim survives both the bite and the cure as well. Most snakebites, even untreated, are not fatal; many snakes do not even inject venom, for a variety of reasons.

The most recent Red cross manual that I have seen does away with "cut and suck." I believe a restricting band, not a tourniquet!!, is recommended, but the definitive treatment requires a medical facility and lowered activity before you get there.

Note how heavy the toll of snakebites has been in recent years in the Armed Forces. You have thousands of more significant hazards facing you than snakes.

Cultivate good preventive habits and learn to walk with caution through brush and don't stick your hands in places you can't see clearly.

Year in and year out, honeybees kill more people than snakebite, by far. And if you are in danger of bee induced anaphylactic shock, a Sawyer kit is useless - you need an epinephrine injection. The kit should be with you at all times.