As a Canadian, I don’t often worry about snakes as I tromp through my Countries backyard. There is only one type of poisonous snake in Canada. I am told it is a “diet” snake as it does not pack half the venom (or calories, .....ha ha ) of most snakes in the U.S. or elsewhere. In all my travels while hunting and the like while in Canada I have never come across any of these poisonous snakes, I have only seen the harmless garden type, so I am not very concerned about it here. As I will be heading back overseas soon I began once again to consider such things as snakes, Camel spiders and scorpions in my survival training. I only know of one Soldier bitten by a snake on my last tour. I don’t know what kind of snake it was but he ended up getting airlifted back to a field hospital because of it. I have started reading about this topic because I want to know how to self treat as best as possible if I am bitten and help is not at hand. After reading a few articles I have become very confused. confused Although all well written they ALL contradict each other constantly. One tells you that you should suck out the venom, the other tells you not to. One tells you to lance the wound with a scalpel and the other advises against it. One speaks about applying a tourniquet above the bite and the other forbids it altogether. I am obviously missing something as I can draw no common ground to link them all together as to what is the best course of action should I become bitten. Our Medics are among the best in uniform and I trust them fully, but I am not sure if they carry snake bite kits or not. As well, there are times when the Medics are unavailable. I plan to buy another snake bite kit of my own (on my last tour I had a Coghlan’s kit but was later told they may be inferior). If I am away from help and I (or a friend) get’s bitten by a poisonous snake, what should I do?? Keep in mind that this will be a tactical operation where some rules will not apply. I know eventually you will need professional help but it may take several hours or longer for that to be possible. As well, staying put and resting may not be a option depending on the situation. I know a lot of you here on this forum live in places where you deal with poisonous snakes on a daily basis.

Any advice would be appreciated. smile Thanks.