Other than NOLA after H. Katrina, I've never seen any shortage of LEO types at any disaster. Indeed, quite the opposite seems to be the usual case.

We emergency services folks usually like the overtime pay, and being on-duty usually means access to hot chow, showers and other amenities not so easy to come by off-duty for the local emergency services folks. The non-local folks include a plethera of Federal LEO types from innumerable alphabet soup agencies (FBI, FPS, DOJ, BOP, ICE, etc.), as well as the aforementioned people "borrowed," at federal expense, from nearby local and state jurisdictions.

Moreover, the feds reimburse local and state governments for the OT. Personally, there is even reimbursement for OT costs available to my regular employer while I'm deployed, and of course I get a federal paycheck while federally activated.

I don't really see a need for private spooks to do policing, when Sheriff Bubba's off duty guys and gals can be put on the clock, and he can just pick up the phone and have Sheriff Cletus send over a bunch of his deputies, too. Remember, any local, county, or state LEO is ALWAYS an LEO, trained according to that state's standards, ANYWHERE in that state, at least under most state laws. So there's no legal problem with authority or jurisdiction, nor usually one with training, standards, orientation, communications, procedures, etc.

Jeff