I have been helped many times in my various travels, and I will help others out in the sticks. But I look the situation over very, very carefully. And when I need help, I keep my attention focused. I also tend to travel with largish wolfish-looking, dark-faced dogs, which may be an edge.

The two Scottish ladies (retired schoolteachers) who had a flat tire between Baker, CA and Las Vegas, NV, were a real hoot. They had forgotten to put a rock under the wheel and their jack got wedged under the car when it rolled. Being the Queen of Flat Tires that I am, I got it changed before my flare burned out. They said they had waited for two hours before they tried doing it themselves. Being visitors to the country, they didn't know what to do. (This was in the pre-cell days.)

I've only picked up hitchhikers twice. The woman turned out to be someone that I knew by phone, but had never met in person. What are the chances of that? The other one was a sick 14-yr-old boy I met in a campground in Wenatchee, WA, and spent the entire trip over the Cascades to Everett vomiting in a large cottage cheese container.

I tend to assume that men should be able to take care of themselves, and don't stop. The single exception was when a car had slid just a couple of feet off an icy road, and he needed to be dragged back just a little bit. A SP officer was slowing people, and was asking if anyone had a tow strap, which I did. I would think the SP would have one, but....?

I know many people refuse to stop under any circumstances. But if something happens and they need help, they expect someone to help them. It's hard for me to think like that.

Sue