I don't mean to drag up old posts but this applies and I thought it would be worth mentioning. Where I work is a fairly isolated compound off the main road and assessable by dirt road only. There are long stretches up the main road before the turn off where there are no street lights etc and it is not uncommon to see vehicles skidded off the road at this time of year. Just about an hour ago I was traveling up this road on the way back to work when I saw a small car half way in the ditch after hitting a patch of ice. I slowed to a stop and took a look to see a small old woman in the car crying. She had skidded off the road trying to avoid an oncoming car that was too far over on her side of the road. thinking that there was a broad shoulder she tried to pull out of the way and the tires had hooked the snow covered edge. The snow proved deeper than it looked and her small front wheel drive was hopelessly stuck. As I approached a wave of relief came over her face. seeing me in uniform assured her that I wasn't any more of a nut than I may have thought she was. In 5 minutes flat I hooked up a tow strap and pulled her out. She had no cell phone as she had said she never really had any use for them, and thus could not call for help. Turns out she was paying a surprise visit to her Grandson who lives on base and who will be deploying overseas next week. After refusing her attempts at giving me money she would not let me leave without some banana bread (brought for her grandson) and a big hug (believe it or not). She explained to me that several people had passed without giving her even a glance. I drove away feeling very proud to have helped her out but sad at the same time. Canada is probably the friendliest place on earth,(most of the time) where people helping strangers is usually a common every day thing. After 911 people were taking in strangers off of flights into their own homes to eat and sleep for several days in my home province of Newfoundland, as all air traffic was suspended in and out of any airport. I was shocked that no one else stopped to help when even the slightest glance would have shown her to be an old woman by herself. I have been almost all over this globe and have seen the uncaring attitude people have for each other in other countries. I still am shocked when it happens here. Is this what it is all coming to I wonder? Its pretty sad.