Originally Posted By: bmisf
How disappointing and mean-spirited of so many of you. (I'm not a vegetarian - just surprised at some of the responses; this seems to be an emerging attitude here, and I hope it stops.)

If someone wants to not eat meat, what's it to you? It's certainly far less of a drain on the world's resources. And it's not just a modern phenomenon, nor a "luxury".

I completely agree. I'm not a vegetarian either, but I think instead of criticizing people for such a choice, we should offer constructive advice. Not, "you will starve unless you eat this rabbit", but saying that food isn't a immediate concern in most survival situations. Sheltering your body, getting a supply of clean water, and signaling for help are the first major concerns of survival. Food comes later. This is the same for everybody, omnivore, carnivore, vegetarian, vegan and cannibal alike.

However, I think most people on this forum store a supply of food in their homes. Why should we expect other people to change their diets during an emergency, to conform to our norm? Why can't we offer advice particular to their situation? People should store food that they eat, and will eat. Not food we think they should eat, for whatever reason. If a vegetarian offered you a block of tofu they stored in their pantry, will you refuse it and starve?