I pulled the hunt & fish kit apart when I got home from work to take a picture of it and I realized a few things were wrong.

• The knife: The Columbia River knife is a very good knife...but this one has a partially serrated blade AND a tanto tip...the two features you DON'T want if you have to gut a fish or take apart a rabbit. It would work but there are better tools for the job and I have a lot of knives so I started looking for a replacement in my 'knife drawer'. I decided on the CRKT Sting. Yes I know it's basically a double edged dagger but it would be a very good knife for taking apart critters. Without any scales it would clean up very easily, it's definitely more a 'one hand opener' than any of the other options, and can be turned into a very handy spear...that's hunting right? I even tossed in the ankle straps so I could use it as a dive style knife if I had to (not ideal but it's what I've got). If this were just a fishing kit (and that may be the case one day, I'd buy this knife but I like the versatility of the Sting. Maybe I don't even need a knife...it's hard for me to make any kit without a knife in it...I just love knives!
  • The sharpener: It's too big and heavy even modified the way I've modified it...a steel rod 6 inches long to sharpen fish hooks? It's got to go. It's not even a very good sharpener (I wouldn't use it on any of my knives). There is a very good sharpener of the same style in the gear repair kit already.
  • The spoons. I took out all the spoons except the Len Thompson #7. I think I've caught more fish on this style of red & white devil than any other hook. This one is new...smaller than the well experienced one which was in there before. Plus spoons don't work that well with static lines, floats, and don't go with the speed hooks at all.
  • Moved all hooks, split weights, and spinners to a single baggie.

This is a prime example of what I was talking about...how I constantly revise my kittage.