haertig is dead nuts square on target!

A compass is a powerful tool, but its power only comes when you can use the compass to relate your position to a know landmark - or two. For that you either need a really good map of the area or a GPS with saved key waypoints - or preferably both.

A compass without a baseplate straight-edge is really really tough to work with in conjunction with a map.

The compass is not the place to save weight. Bring a decent baseplate compass (I much prefer one with adjustable declination), a good map of the area (USGS topo map in the US), and, hopefully, even a very simple GPS w/ extra batteries. Save key waypoints often and know how to convert coordinates on a map to a waypoint on a GPS (see http://wwww.maptools.com ).

I'd actually put the good map ahead of the compass in terms of utiliy. Many outdoors folks will tell you that they primarily travel using a map alone, but certainly at times need to use their compass to confirm their location or direction of travel.

I flew out to Charlotte, NC during the last few days and brought along a copy of the book "The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way in the Great Outdoors, Second Edition" by David Seidman and Paul Cleveland. Its the second time I've read through it and I have to say I'm pretty darn impressed. Its one of the few books on the topic that explains BOTH how to use compasses with adjusted magnetic declination AND how to use compasses that are not adjustable for declination. I think its now my favorite book on the topic.

Ken K.