While I was repacking some gear this morning I took some pictures of what I consider my shelter system. It's very simple, very light weight, and I'm sure some of you won't think it's enough.

(I wanted to take a picture of it erected but unfortunately the tent pegs don't go into the floor of my condo's balcony very well)

The whole thing packs inside the silponcho stuff sack and weighs less than 14 oz.

What's not pictured are my two trekking poles which are used as tarp poles if needed (28" at their shortest). The tarp is 5x8 and can be set up as a narrow A-Frame, single wall lean-to, Diamond fly, C-Frame and more using the poles and guy lines. Poles are nice but optional as the tarp has MANY loops all around the outside so can be suspended instead of propped.

Please keep in mind that this is only used when building a shelter from what nature has to offer isn't an option...or to supplement such a shelter. Also keep in mind that in a true outdoors situation I'm very likely to have a bivy bag and ground sheet to go under it.

I may still add a space blanket but carry one separately already. I carry it often in my shoulder bag so I don't want to make it any heavier if I can help it. Here's what you see:
  • Integral Designs silnylon poncho tarp (because it's always in my bag I'm also always carrying some rain gear)
  • 6 x 5 foot lengths of cord with glow in the dark tighteners already installed on one end of each.
  • 8 MSR Ultralight Needle Stakes (7001-T6 Aluminum)