Sad.

But it points out a few things: Life is delicate and life is inherently hazardous. Survival is a temporary reprieve and entirely provisional. You can do everything right and still die. Sometimes luck and timing make training and preparation meaningless.

Your far more likely to die on the road than by wolf attack, disaster, or plane crash. If conditions don't favor driving think long and hard about staying put. Staying at work or at friends or a hotel if you need to and showing up late is far better than not showing up at all. Develop a network of friends who have a couch for a night. Keep a couch and sheets ready for friends. When you do drive drive carefully and wear your seatbelt.

I am not saying this person did anything wrong. Everyone choses the course they think is best and none can be effectively judged after the fact. He made what he considered to be the right choice for his situation. I have sometimes driven through conditions that I shouldn't have when I look back. So far I have always gotten away with it. Far more luck than skill I'm sure.