How about substituting some Gerber milk bags for some of those those Ziplocs? Very durable (and sterile) container for water storage.

Also, a SAM splint would be just the thing if you were injured in an accident and had to move. Maybe some WaterJel/BurnJel or 2nd Skin Burn Pads for abrasions/road rash if you dumped your bike. Just thinking a basic FAK and Motrin may leave something to be desired in a road accident (serious or not). For the activity and circumstances you have described it is not just about the wilderness survival, but surviving a potential accident (or breakdown). Your kit really needs multiple components: 1) breakdown, 2) accident/first aid, and 3) surviving afterward in the Michigan forest 600 to 1000 foot elevation. I think you have no. 3 covered. If you are not mechanically inclined maybe no. 1 is not a priority. You already have a multi tool and duct tape, and a few zip ties to secure a hose and a wrench could come in handy even if you cannot rebuild an engine. I just don't see a lot of preparation for no. 2.

You mention that weight is not a consideration and everything is in a backpack, but I have to believe that the farther you may have to hike or move the more of an issue it may become (and even more so if you are injured in an accident). Accordingly, I would agree with some of the calls to limit the redundancy (Although I understand exactly where you are coming from). Maybe a smaller pack within the pack? (There I go, talking about limiting the redundancy and then encouraging redundancy as a solution) grin

Edited by bmo (01/02/08 04:27 PM)