Guess everyone has played the "lighter game". Here is my score.

I tried the Cabella (about $50) lighter and found that if I used it for more than 20 seconds it would suddenly burn my finger! Happens so fast you can't let go. Then it clogged up and has become inop. Also, can't see the liquid level so I was forever filling it (just in case). Never was sure if it was really full. Now it lives in the "disgusted" drawer.

Had a zippo for years, but found that the nickle in the case irritated my skin, even through the cloth in my pocket. Also the fuel seemed to escape a bit and made the irritation worse. I don't smoke, so it was always out of fuel (evaporation) when needed. Also packing it with other things in a kit made all items smell like fuel. I always wondered if the fuel fumes were damaging other articles in the kit. Discarded.

Bic's. Well, good at first, but they are hard to light something with. Small and weak flame. Seem to survive normal handling well, but sometimes hard to light. Not at all windproof. Discarded.

Cricket: Finally one that seems to meet my needs. It is small, light, and lives in my EDC easily, with another in my pocket. So far, lights every time and the flame is OK. Cheap, have them tucked everywhere. I like the "childproof" lock. keeps it from accidental discharge. Some of the others are very difficult to operate when hands are cold and wet (slippery). So I would break off the lock and they would then leak when packed. Also the cricket is made of a translucent material and if I hold it up to a bright light, I can see the liquid level.

Tried a storm lighter. Seems best of the bunch. I can see the level. It seems to survive being wet, but I have not tested it. Someone with more $$, that can afford destroying a $12 lighter might dunk one and let me know. That is the problem with distructive testing. I am just careful with mine and keep it in a waterproof BOB kit. Nice hot flame and it does not burn my finger.

Storm Candle: A $14 butane with an extendable flame rod. Works OK, but I think it is not up to a EDC standard. Weak flame. Have not had it very long but I am not impressed. I thought that because it was made by storm it would have the same type hot flame, but alas, just a weak easily blown out little flame. It now lives in the "Stove" box in my truck. Usefull for lighting my one burner stove.

I do not carry any of the "magnesium" fire sticks. Did for years and found that when packed they damage other things. If exposed to air they decay and turn to a powder. This powder seems to be especially nasty to electronic stuff. I did not try to isolate them from other items and perhaps coating them or some other isolation technique may work. Not worth the risk to me. Have the resolved this problem?

Matches. I have tried them all and do not want to risk my "fire" on the number I can stick in a small package. Experience has shown me that a lighter will provide more lights (obviously) in a smaller and more robust package than matches. Yes, I would bet my life on that.

Butane lighters have their risks, but carefull use and frequent routine checking have provided the best "bang for buck" in my world.

Nomad..