The mega hurricane does not worry me that much, unless it occurs because of a suddent change in the course of a storm. When the storm is heading for Long Island and then veers toward NYC, it will be a very bad situation. Experts claim that we are overdue, but NYC is a tough place for a hurricane to get on any normal path. Once above Hatteras, they tend to all head east, due to the prevailing winds and the coriolos effect. To get to NYC, it would need to move north with the Gulfstream, then head to the west. That's not a common path. It is probably going to need a Bermuda high that shifts to the north and keeps the storm from heading east. But the Bermuda high would also need to have either shifted east or be rather weak. A strong Bermuda high will drive a storm ashore much south of NYC.

The 1938 Storm passed 55 miles to the east of NYC. It was on a path created by circumstances like those I mention above.

Much more likely than a mega hurricane is a mega nor'Easter, like the so-called "Perfect Storm."

I think my biggest fear for an unprepared east coat would be if half of the doom and gloom about the Cumbra Vieja Volcano turned out to be true. Hopefully, the chances are slim. I've seen predictions of a tsumani 200 feet high striking the U.S. East Coast, within 7 hours after a massive landslide, with half of a mountain falling into the Atlantic. Many of the predcitions seem to exaggerate, but I think you need to prepare for the worst.

An evacuation from NYC would be nuts. Normal rush hours are bumper to bumper. In any serious evacuation for a hurricane, many more people would be leaving Long Island. Everyone would be heading to the north, and all roads leaving Manhattan and Long Island would be packed much worse than anything you see in the southeast for a hurricane. Trying to get anywhere and have gas to get anywhere would be difficult. Leave early.