First , I'm always packin a 357 where/when it's legal . But that being said , If it was me in that situation , I would have shot a wolf only as an absolute last resort . A warning shot probably would be enough to scare them off and even doing that would not be the first thing I did . The women obviously didn't need a firearm . I think it's a good thing they did'nt have a firearm because IMO they were idiots . In their state of mind they probably would have just wounded one of them and made things worse or shot each other . They were running/jogging in a place that was known to have problems with with wolves . They were turning there backs on the wolves until they finally figured out that was a bad thing to do . Was that the only place they could go jogging ?
This type of story really bugs me . I could type out a very long rant about the stupid way a lot of people react about wildlife they encounter , wolves , coyotes , bears , wild turkeys [yes there was a local women who freaked out about a couple of turkeys in her yard ] , possums , racoons etc. . But I'll just say this - If you are afraid or can't deal with the wildlife you might encounter , DON'T GO THERE !!! Go live in the city !
There are too few places [and getting fewer] that wildlife , like wolves , have space to live . Give them their space and leave them alone .