I've had GPS for some time now. My first was a Garmin GPSIII+ I'd gotten from my wife one Christmas. I also have a Garmin Geko 201 and a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

I see a GPS as being a critical part of "lost-avoidance". They should be accompanied by a good compass, topographic map of the area, and a UTM grid. I like Garmins as they've done me very well over the years. The features I'd recommend in a GPS are a high-senstivity receiver and an electronic compass (yeah, I know lots of folks will disagree).

Actually my son - the boy scout - is getting a Garmin Geko 301 for Christmas, but he doesn't know it yet.

A while back Doug Ritter had recommended a mapping GPS in his list of 10+ thing people should carry for survival (see below for the rest of his list).

Getting lost is a common start for many survival situations. It is critical that the user saves a waypoint at their car or shelter. Given that even a non-mapping GPS can do wonders. The advantage of the mapping GPS is that someone who is lost at least knows where they are in relation to map features such as nearby roads and cities.

I'd always recommend GPS users turn them on briefly to get location, capture waypoints, and to get bearings and distances to destinations. They GPS should then be turned off to save batteries. During travel a magnetic compass can/should be used to maintain direction of travel.

Doug Ritter's 10 Essentials
1. Navigation - a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries, or secondarily a map & compass, AND the knowledge to use them together
2. Knife - one-hand opening
3. Fire starter & Tinder
4. Water & water purification
5. Whistle
6. Signal Mirror
7. Duct Tape
8. Shelter - large garbage bags or AMK Heat Sheets blanket
9. Flashlight or Headlamp - LED, lithium battery, with constant-on switch
10. Sunscreen and/or Insect Repellent
11. Personal Locator Beacon