1. Bugging Out is:
a. the last ditch plan! Last ditch but required as demonstrated in southern Cali, New Orleans, Mississippi, and Florida. Possible pandemic, terror attacks, and large scale civil unrest make a remote location desirable IMO and experience.
b. allows one to only carry the minimum personal gear/equipment. Most equipment that we carry is really designed to allow a more comfortable survival. Most of the time a vehicle will be available at least in the beginning to carry equipment. However leaving by foot should be planned for as a possibility.
c. a small group can carry more "community equipment" (entrenching tool, small axe/hatchet, etc.) Believing that we can survive easily alone is a fallacy we get from movies, and books. It can be done but it will be so much easier with long established friends.
2. Planning and Execution:
a. deciding on a destination-specific or an area. Hopefully well established or at the very least well known to the majority of the group
b. mapping out the escape route to be used from home and city (or town, village, etc). With at least 3 routes marked and discussed with rendezvous locations (if possible)along the way.
c. deciding on the "trigger(s)" that tell you when it's time to leave. Hard to do. Easy for impending natural disasters, but not so easy when talking about pandemics, terrorists, or large-scale civil disruption.
d. knowing who is going with you-strengths and weaknesses (too many or too few persons in your group has consequences). One of the most important aspects that a lot of people over look. Lots of knowledge and training and cross training is needed for a long-term survival without any contacts with “civilization” for resupply.
3. Tactics:
a. evading other groups whether civilian or governmental (threat assessment).
b. daytime vs. nighttime traveling; when to do which.
c. where and how to find resupply opportunities. Hopefully this will be possible but plans should include contingencies if resupply is unsuccessful or impractical.
d. how long to march and how long to stop and rest along the way
(march for 5 days and then stop, make a temporary basecamp, rest up for 3 days?). Both d & e depend on the knowledge, experience, general shape and conditions of all parties involved.
e. knowing when to have a "hot camp" (with a fire) and when to have a "cold camp".
f. upon reaching a destination area-find a place to set up a semi-permanent base camp or keep moving among many semi-permanent base camps once a week????? With my personal plans it is permanent, with hunting cabins already in place. Plans also include secondary location and plans in the event primary camp is already occupied.
g. establish garden plots in the forest and hunting/gathering for sustenance???? Seeds and basic tools in place at permanent camp.

I prefer to have a plan and never need it rather than need a plan and place and need it. Besides it gave me and my friends a reason to buy a remote hunting cabin.

Edited by raydarkhorse (12/20/07 04:18 PM)