Haven't seen the movie, will put it on my list.

For being able to document things on the spot, a small notepad is invaluable. However, many cellphones can work well for this (and even take pictures), but a pencil and paper is faster to use in some situations and if you need to draw a quick sketch of a map with notes as a reminder of the way back, paper and pencil might be better. But that would only be needed if my GPS failed. Electronics are making us lazy, that's a given.

Over the years I have shifted to electronic media (with back-ups) to maintain info, MS Outlook even has a Journal which is pretty good. As for power outages, my laptop (I will only ever own a laptop) has it's own power for short events and there's solar for back-up. I have enough solar collector and electrical storage to power my laptop for a long time.

Another issue is capacity. I can keep gigabytes of data, historical info, How-To info. . . which would be difficult to do with pencil and paper. I may have to invest in a printer to make long term back-ups, but we're talking about a lot of info, maps that won't print well. So it may be a matter of triage, print out critical stuff and leave the rest in electronic form.

But in a disaster PC's, Palms, et al, may be unreliable for info or recording and for really long EOTW events, anything with electricity coursing through its veins will eventually die, eventually so will I.