I have an assortment of options. For wet winter wear I have a number of surplus wool pants in various thicknesses. I just found a pair of 1950 Australian pants in brand new condition for $25 at a local surplus store. These still had the paper size tag on the waistband and are in a nice medium thickness hard finished wool that should be quite comfortable to wear.

I find surplus wool pants to generally be a good value and depending on their origin good quality wool too.

I have German, NATO, Austrian, Hungarian, Australian, and US wool pants that I know of, and Italian, German and Austrian knickers. I have found that most of these are more comfortable with a thin Smartwool long john under them. The Eastern Bloc surplus wool seems to be particularily agressive and a thin longjohn sometimes cannot blunt the bobwire wool they are woven from.

The hard finishedlight to medium thickness US 1951 pants are some of my favorites as they are not too thick and the wool quality is very high and not too itchy.

I also have Filson mackinaw pants for real cold and Filson whipcord wool for town wear in the wet winter. The Filson whipcords are very nice and do not require a baselayer for comfort.

I also wear 5.11 cotton pants, but not when I know I am going to get wet.

I use Filson oiled cover cloth rain pants too when I know I am going to be in the rain for quite some time.