Keep a Journal (I call it a log)!!

I have worked more than a few disasters as a hospital administrator, Ham, Red Cross responder, Search and Rescue responder and during my own private disasters.

Over time I have developed a logging method that works for me. I have referred to it countless times for information that I logged that I really did not know I would need later. Here is how I do it.

I use a small spiral binder. About 3x5. Starting from the BACK, I make notes as things happen. Mostly names of people I meet, radio frequencies, things others might mention, most anything. Usually it is almost incomprehensible scribbles. After each entry, I draw a horizontal line to separate that thought from the next.

When things are quiet, at least once a day, I transcribe the scribbles to the FRONT of the notebook. I add legibility, expand on what I wrote and in general make it so I can understand it a month later.

When I transcribe, I draw a single diagonal line through the transcribed scribble portion. When the entire page has been transcribed I draw a diagonal the opposite direction through the whole page. I do not rip out the scribble page.

When a page is full, I tear off a small piece of the bottom right corner. (I am left handed). Then when I need to open it quickly, I can grab the bottom right corner and end up at the latest empty spot. No fumbling through the pages to find an empty space to write.

I can't stress enough how useful this notebook will become. buy a bundle of these notebooks (12 for about $5 as sams club) and practice by tracking your daily activities.

Keeping log is an acquired skill. In time you will develop a technique that fits your needs. Start a log every time your world deviates from the routine. You start a trip, you start a hike, you have an auto accident, anytime you do anything unusual.

Do it however it works for you but DO IT!!