I agree on the bic too. I find it much more reliable than the jet type. Every jet type lighter I have every bought and tried has failed, from cheap to not cheap.

I have had bics go through the washer & dryer even and work fine after I find it in my pocket. It lost some fuel, probably from getting depressed, but it still lit up first try. I have yet to use up the fuel in a bic or cricket lighter either. I buy half a dozen every other year and rotate out my stock.

Interestingly, I have found the peanut lighter (cheap) to be great at preserving fuel, unlike the zippo which goes dry within two weeks. I have a handful of those scattered around in various kits too. I check them every six months or so and after about a year and a half, I haven't refueled and they still light. I will top off the fuel at the two year mark when I rotate the bics. I also have a nice Dunhill (expensive) and that holds fuel very well too. I haven't refilled it in about four years and it still lights up.

And I second the road flare for emergency, gotta have fire now, backup fire in the pack. I have never needed it here in Hawaii, but it can get cold at night.