Originally Posted By: Taurus
You make a very valid point.
I should have been a little more specific in regards to why I wanted to add a rescue tool to the kit. I am a big WHAT IF kind of person. Just like everyone else here I suppose. I wanted to add such an item just in case I had to get someone out of a vehicle in a hurry. If there is no immediate danger to remove them then of course I won't. The biggest reason for me adding it would be in the event that I need to get myself out of my truck after an accident. After reading back through the post I realize that I never really pointed that out. I never intended on busting windows and pulling people out of their vehicles without so much as checking or asking if they were alright!!

Seems to me that a rescue tool would be a good thing to have. It’s not about moving the victim; it’s about getting to the victim to render aid. Basic medical aid calls for not moving the victim unless they are immediate danger from being inside the car. Moving the victim unnecessarily can cause (further) back and neck injury. But if you see blood spurting and the door won’t open, the window needs to go.

For your own personal protection, either a Life Hammer or a rescue knife would do fine. If you are going to use something so help someone else, better stick to the rescue knife. It’s much more versatile than the Life Hammer.