Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

If you have the trng, some vaseline gauze for a sucking chest wound, and some sterile saline if you are lucky enough to encounter an abdominal evisceration. But with enough of those 4x4's you can do a lot of good...

The training I have with sucking chest wounds is strictly of a military nature, Bullets or frag as opposed to shattered ribs against a steering wheel. As such I carry an Asherman chest seal in my hunting packs trauma kit (the self adhesive one with the little rubber valve in the middle) I don't have it in the truck because It is designed for a single puncture, as which could result in a hunting accident. Maybe I will toss one in the truck if it is something common to vehicle accidents though. I am not trained to use I.V, saline, or fancy stuff and as such I will stay in my own lane and do only what I know. I would hate to make matters worse for someone. The whole point of the kit is only to keep an airway open, stop bleeding and prevent shock until the professionals arrive on the scene. As such, the first thing I plan to do is call, or have someone else call 911. I have seen some bad things in my time, but was always fortunate to have a Medic at hand. I honestly wouldn't know how to handle an abdominal evisceration.

Just a quick question OBG. Would you recommend a rescue knife, like the Gerber hinderer or a life hammer to be the better tool?? I figure the first thing after calling for help would be to get the person out of the vehicle somehow. With 30 plus years under your belt, you must have done it more than a few times. I carry a bunch of tools in the Ram, but none are specifically designed for rescue. I plan to add one of these to have within easy reach, just in case.