What I did this month: added a few things to our gear and; changed methods of transporting the gear.

Until this month, all of the gear was in a few rubbermaid containers. Fine idea, if we can get drive to where we want to get. However, if an when we are forced to move on foot, even perhaps after we get to someplace else we are staying, these containers will not be as easy to move around with gear as if I stored things in backpacks that we could simply grab. Now, we have two backpacks ready to go close by the front door. The rubbermaid containers will be restocked with with some of the same things as they held before and some other items too. Ideally we stay or move with all the gear. However, if we need to move on foot, we have a better option.

A significant addition was some cheap bic lighters. Living in NYC, we do not get a lot of opportunity to start fires. While we have tools to start fires (matches and strikers), it would be foolish to think we get enough practice with them to be able to count on them. Added the lighters, because one should be able to get thousands of fires started with one. During the time I was starting such fires, I can practice with the strikers. I'll practice anyway when I can, but now I have another option.

My other addition worth mentioning was a modification of a plastic spork, knife and razor knife. I did not want to carry a small scapel-like blade and no handle. The idea of trying to cut something with a sliver of metal pressed between my thumb and fingers seemed onerous. So, I took a plastic knife and a spork, drilled holes into the handle ends, and enlarged the hole on a a small exacto knife blade. Then I tooked a machine screw inserted it through all three holes, with the exacto blade sandwiched in the middle, and tightened a nut onto the screw. Now, if I should need it, I have an exacto blade with a handle. It will not my first choice in knife blades for almost any job, until it is the only one I have with me. But, I almost always have it with me.

One more thing, I joined this forum. So far it has beene ducational, and I think it will be shown to have been a wise choice in the future.

Edited by Dan_McI (12/12/07 10:00 PM)