Last year, A good friend of mine was taking his family on a camping trip when he happened across an accident that had just occurred. A van had skidded off the road and overturned. With no one else in sight he called 911, and grabbed his FAK to help the overturned vehicles occupants. Although no one inside was seriously hurt there were some wounds which required him to tear up his jacket to stop bleeding. When talking to me later, he confided to me that he wished he had better items in his FAK in case this should happen again sometime.

This of course, got me questioning the first aid items held in my truck and wondering if they would be adequate in case of the same type of incident. I decided to make two FAKs for my truck. 1 kit for the small, ordinary items used everyday like band-aids, prep pads etc, and a second kit to hold trauma items in the event of a serious accident. Upon doing my last check of this trauma kit I can't shake the feeling that I am overlooking something very important in this kit. With icy roads here for winter, and the never ending supply of stupid, careless Edmonton drivers this kit has been brought back to the top of this months preparedness priority list. This is what I currently have inside:

1. Quick splint x 1
2. CPR mask, standard x 1
3. triangular bandages x 2(Canadian Military issue)
4. 2 pairs HD surgical gloves
5. Israeli shell dressings x 4(Canadian Military issue)
6. C-A-T tourniquet x 1 (Canadian Military issue)
7. quick clot (Canadian Military issue) x 2 pouches

This kit is designed to provide first aid at the scene of a vehicle accident to my family or someone else until the pros arrive so I am not concerned about stuff like cleaning wounds etc. Most of the items I can get free through the Army, plus I am trained in their use so that is why they are in the kit. I have seen personally while overseas that quick clot works to stop major bleeding(although it hurts like hell once applied) And more than one Soldiers life has been saved by a C-A-T tourniquet. I am trained in Standard first aid, and combat Casualty care which mostly deals with battlefield injuries but that is as fancy as I get. I do not wish to add items that I am untrained to use or which are overly complicated. I would also like to keep it as small as possible for ease or storage. I have all items currently packed in zip-loc bags and then placed inside an LMG ammo pouch. I would like to add a Gerber Hinderer rescue knife or a life hammer(still have not decided what would be best yet) and a plastic airway tube to the kit as well.

I have a feeling I am overlooking something though. Am I missing a vital component??? Any advice, especially from the Para-medic types on the forum would be appreciated.