I think the choices you make should consider both what you are capable of doing and the things you may be able to make use of in an emergency. I would begin by looking at a regular first aid kit and adding to that kit. Some additions I would make are some over the counter analgesics and I'd add something to combat diarrhea and cold symptoms. I would also consider adding something to soothe sunburn and prevent sunburn. In addition, I've added a few packets of second skin (good for blisters or burns). Look in your medicine cabinest and think about what you regulary use.

As far as sutures, I think the question is do you or someone else who is likely to be with you could put them to use. Would you have the right kind of suture to use in the circumstances with which you are likely to be presented? Would it be made of teh right material, in the right size, etc.? I can only imagine myself trying to sew a wound closed when I had absolutely no other choice; I could not clsoe the wound any other way; and without closing it the risk of death or serious health consequences was pretty imminient. I'd feel the same about anything that normally required a prescription.