Agree with the majority that buggin' in is better than hiking cross country, especially with small children. In my case I have the limitations of being older and my wife having knee replacements. We aren't walking out. I have BOB's in each car, each good for one person for a couple of days if stuck in a snowstorm. In the house I have larger 3 day kits in plastic containers (more food, shelter, water, FAK, etc.)

So if I need to get out of the house the personal BOB's go in the AWD wagon along with the house 3 day kits, 5 gallons of water (or more), tent, sleeping bags, pet food in plastic pails, pets in carriers, couple of Ham radios, GPS, and whatever clothing my wife can pack in the 15 minutes it will take to pack the car.

The car will handle the kits, my wife and I, and my mom and DD1 who live nearby. If I have to I can strap some additional stuff to the roof. The trick is to get to my siblings homes at 100, 700, and 850 miles (in 3 different directions) or far enough upstream to find a hotel or shelter. The weak link (the one I see) is I'll only get about 350 miles on a tank of gas. Do I keep some gas in containers and take it along or hope for gas at 300 miles distance?

One question for the group. If you need to bug out in a vehicle do you trust the interstates or head cross country on the secondary roads?