I've lived with back pain since my accident on 8/8/93. I have spent many thousands of dollars on various treatments, including Chinese therapy. I am now to a point where I can manage it.

1. Start anti-inflammatory over-the-counter meds
2. Get in the bathtub and soak with near-hot water. Better, yet, go to the gym and alternate between jacuzzi and cold water several times
3. Start getting massage two or three times a week.
4. After the above have relaxed your back enough, you need to wind down the expense of massage and start stretching. The psoas (spelling?) muscle is one of your top goals. Get professional advice on stretches, but one that I like is I sit down on the carpet with both legs extended out. Then, I bend one foot back and set it next to my bottom. Then, lean back slowly. Hold for maybe 30 seconds. Switch sides. Start over. As time goes on, you'll be holding your stretches for up to a minute and eventually you'll be able to lie all the way down on your back with your foot curled under. This stretch alone, for me, has been a life saver.
5. Rolfing is great, but this therapy is expensive and painful.
6. Every once in a while, you'll lapse back. When that happens, start at step 1 again.

I'm convinced that stretching is one of the best things that you can do for yourself. Read up on it. There are a lot of positives.