Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
Originally Posted By: JIM

Acethaminophen is by far the safest of the bunch. There's a risk of liver-damage, but that's only after a long period and a high concentration of the stuff.

If you put it in contrast, the chances of getting stomach-problems with Ibuprofen are far greater than the chance of liver-problems with Acethaminophen..

I don't know if I would go so far as to classify ANY of those three medications as "safer". All have their dangers and their beneficial uses. Each medication has been proven to not only be safe but effective if used as directed and intended.

FWIW, I have seen more patients with long-term health issues due to Acetaminophen abuse (intentional and accidental) then either of the other two mentioned mediations. Doesn't make it unsafe, just a warning to follow the direction and MD's orders... more is not always better.

An extremely good point. Even so called 'herbal' or 'home remedies' can be harmful if not used properly. And meds which are 'safe' might not be depending on the patient or the combination which they are taken with other medication.

I once took some ColdFX and some back pain meds which had a high dose of asprin. I later had a bloody nose which wouldn't stop. I'm prone to bloody noses but in my thirty years I'd never had one where the blood came out thin like water.

I later did the homework and learned that asprin thins the blood...and that ColdFX is full of ultra concentrated Ginseng...another blood thinner.