Quiviut-"buffalo wool" is warm, but not so much warmer than wool that you need to go to great lengths to find it. Alpaca and Llama are also warmer than wool, and readily available in North America.

The mitts almost certainly are knitted, it's just that they are then "felted." (another term for boiled wool - which may or may not involve "boiling"). It draws in, shrinks and "mats" the fiber, making a very dense and warm fabric. Anyone who has ever accidentally put a wool sweater or socks in the washing machine will be familiar with the process.

In your area there are likely quite a number of craftspeople who have spinning wheels, spin their own yarn, and know how to felt clothing items - a somewhat simple process. You might want to check into it, support your local fiber farmers and artists, and maybe save a few bucks as well.

I have been a handspinner for about 10 years now, and have made yarn out of everything from sheep's wool to Alpaca and Llama and even dog and long-haired cat fur! I have done some felting, and NO, I'm not interested in taking orders! It's strictly a fun hobby for me.