Andy - I will have to look at my HT when I get home (I am on a business trip) to see if it has wideband receive. Do you also commute to Philly?

Art_in_FL - 90% of the time I wear cotton chinos and either a Polo shirt or button down shirt and no tie. In a crowd I look like most other men so I blend in pretty well. Good idea about the TP. Thank you.

Brangdon - My train commute is less than 10 minutes and 1/2 of that is above ground. I am confident that, assuming the train tunnel wasn't collapsed I could get out fairly quickly. That said, I am considering carrying a small water bottle. And definitly considering a headlamp or band to convert a light to headlamp. I am looking at a small pry bar that was recommended by another poster. Thank you.

Sherpadog - Oh, good point. I was focused on intake, and hadn't considered outflow smile

thechaplain - Good idea, and if I was commuting through areas that I didn't know I would carry one. For my commute, I think a compass will be enough.

Ironraven and RAS - I agree completely. The windows are designed to be opened without shattering; it is a safety issue. And I find myself compulsively reading the those instructing whenever I get on a new public transit vehicle.

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions!