Kurt,

As always, lots of good thoughts in reply to your question. Let me see if I can add some value. I recently added a Petzel e-light headlamp to my business carry bag. Nice light and lightweight, small enough to carry on a belt or bag strap, not expensive.

I also EDC a second wallet in which I carry an assortment of "flat" objects like bandaids, antiseptic wipes, sewing kit, floss card, sheet of aluminum foil, gaffers tape (stuck on some release paper from some old mailing labels), 4 quarters, phone card (based on the theory that if cell towers are down old fashioned payphones, if you can find one, might work), two Aquapur tablets in foil packs, A BCB credit card tool, a Picopad note pad and pen, credit card sized fresnel lens, a County Comm signal mirror, paper matches, tinder card, $20 and probably a few other items I can't remember.

Another suggestion is to look for a 2M HT with wideband receive so you can tune AM/FM maybe even shortwave (Kenwood and Alinco have such models). I carry a Kenwood F6A in my work bag and an Alinco DJ-C7 in my jacket pocket.

If you have maps and a small button compass you'll at least be able to decide whether to turn left or right.

Let's hope for another mild winter in the Delaware Valley.