I'm even later to the dance. You've been given many good ideas. Allow me to elaborate around the edges: Headlamp. I like the Princeton- Tec Scout; Water purification straw marketed in the BQ catalog and Micropur tabs; Swim goggles (keeps out smoke/dust in tunnel, etc.); Small compass; 4-way sillcock wrench; Ti or stainless cup, fit onto wide-mouth poly litre bottle; $200 in cash, or more, in small bills, split b/t pocket and pack( cash can save your life in a mugging, aside form other obvious uses); First-aid kit upgrades should include an Isreali compress bandage, a 3" roll of Coban,5"x9" ABD pad, Quik-clot, aspirin, immodium, benadryl, and a prescription pain killer. Pepper spray sould not be a problem in NJ, unless yo're being a jerk with it. Also consider an Exostream bottle water purifier as an alt. to the straw. Finally pack this kit, or most of it, in a soft fanny pack and put the loaded fanny in your backpack. this will allow you to wear it seperately and free-up space in the backpack for the extras you may want to scavange in a bug-out.