When I was in my early twenties, I lived in with no modern convieniences in an old leaky pup tent beside a river from mid April to early December. The river and surrounding land provided most of the basic food I needed to survive which was all cooked over an open fire with only a small pot and 8" cast iron fry pan.

When I needed stuff I could not make or forage for, I would take a job in the local area for a day or so and barter my labor for what I needed. Although I always wanted to live with no working or assistance of any kind, I soon found out that it is not possible to live entirely on your own in 100% isolation situation and our ancestors long before us also depended on the help and charity of others

Living this kind of life for roughly 9 months was the most fulfilling, yet most difficult thing I ever did. It was working from sun up to sun down 7 days per week regardless of how I felt or the what the weather was (below freezing to low 90's) just to get by.

Could I do it again for a year if the situation warranted..yes. For multiple years, the simple answer is no, not without plenty of help...and 99.9% of people should not be under any delusion they can regardless of how much preps they have saved or how much knowledge they have.