I really don't see it possible.
Our ancestors didn't live in the woods alone. The early settlers were gathered around forts and farmed and shared and bartered their crops. The average lifespan then was somewhere around 30 to 40 years so cut your life span in half or figure every year puts the stress and wear of two on your body. They didn't have things like tooth brushes, they lost their teeth early on and even when they had dentists it was pretty much to extract the cavitied or infected tooth. Very few lived alone in the lifestyle your talking about, thats why they became legends. One out of 100 would attempt to live like that then one out of 100 that tried actually lived to become Daniel Boone or Davey Crockett, again rare enough that they did become legends. As others said you also had thousands of acres to hunt and gather on, you don't have these quantities of resources any more.
If you step back in history again to the likes of the Native American Indians, they survived be creating tribes, not a single people. You have to because sooner or later your going to get sick in some way and someone else has to be there to hunt for your food and take care of you so you can return the favor to them when they are sick. Even then without the benefits of modern medicine many died due to what might be a minor illness today so the statistics are against you again.
All through history the same pattern exists, we gathered together to survive because we could not survive alone. Might be a city, town, fort, castle, etc but we made some distinction from being a loaner.
I have recent history to go by, my fathers was the first generation in my family to have a job with a paycheck. My grandfather was a full time farmer who never earned a paycheck. He did some work for money from time to time, sold crops, livestock, logs, etc. But for the most part he was self sufficient. His farm was 200 acres total with cows, chickens, pigs, etc. He died when I was 19 so I got to see a little of life back then, I still remember being very young and going out with my grandmother to get eggs from the chicken coop or the meat hanging in the smokehouse. The house that my grandfather was born in is still there, the house that his mother was born in was turned into a barn and later torn down by my uncle who inherited that section after my grandfather died. There was a garage, tractor garage, smokehouse, chicken coop, pig barn, woodshed, the cave dug in the hill for long term food storage, two more buildings, and two barns in the valley, then three barns and a sheep stable up on the mountain. That farm supported him and his wife and their seven kids and his mother (I'm not sure when his father died, I have no memories of him so it mush have been before I was born or when I was really young). So it takes a lot of resources to be self sufficient, probably a bit more than what can fit in a pack.

Someday I will inherit half of about 100 acres, I have one brother who is entitled to the other half even though he has no interest in it. My parents bought land from my grandfather so thats why we have more than 1/7th of it. Its not the best land in the world, rocky and hilly and very little water. There are currently two ~12 acre hay fields and maybe 30 in pasture on their part then woods down into the valley and part way up the other side. My father is going to retire soon, too many years of driving across the state line for work as there are no real jobs there so I'm living far away and wondering what to do when my parents are gone. My thought is to pack the kids for a week around spring break and we plant a nice garden then go back in late fall to harvest and make some weekend trips in between. I really can't move there as there are no jobs and a terrible school system so I don't know how I'm going to maintain the fence or fields and such.