I've had one stolen, I almost lost another, when I walk around mexico i leave it locked up to keep it from being stolen. My Every Day Carry Bug Out Bag is small, light, comprehensive, blends in, and is EXPENSIVE.

This has me rethinking my EDC bag. Since they are so prone to being left behind due to customs, forced evac, muggings confiscation, etc. I might rebuild this BOB to be as cheap as possible yet still cover all of the survival basics. Your suggestions are welcome but bear in mind that the kit has to be legal on school property and in Mexico. It can't raise anyones eyebrows if authorities were to find it. It has to replace a thousand dollar kit for about thirty bucks out of pocket plus any gear that I've had lying around for the past decade such as the headlamp.

Here is my first list based on what I condider the ten essentials. The first thing I did was remove all of the radios, tools, phones, keys, non stick cookware, nalgenes, sure fires, and fenix flashlights, and anything worth more than three dollars. I enlarged my PSK to include excellent items that I wouldn't want to leave in an expendable pack.

1. Self Defense:
need suggestions (can't carry my firearms, knives, hammer, etc.)

2. Signaling
use the excellent gear in my pockets

3. Sight
Princeton Tec Headlamp (cost around $20, but I have plenty just lying around)

4. Shelter/ Clothing
Cheap poncho or tarp
3 mil trash bags
wool cap, gloves, and socks
vinyl rain suit
lip sunscreen
sunscreen in tube
cheap cord
bandanna

5. Water/ Food
Bottled Water from store
Coffee can pot with bail

6. Fire
ranger bands (I have plenty from flat tires)
Strike Anywhere matches (a dollar a box I think)
BIC Lighters
Trioxane

7. Hygene
small roll of toilet paper
bottle of purell

8. repair
none, sewing gear in psk

9. Medical
Lots of cotton Balls
rolls of waterproof athletic tape
coban bandages (got plenty lying around)
vaseline
safety pins
excedrine (don't know of legality)

10. navigation (all compasses carried on person)
maps are dirt cheap