I was camping with my son's Boy Scout Troop at a Cub Scout family overnight (we were invited to help out). While setting up, one of the parents was putting up an EZ-up canopy, but one of the poles had gotten stuck. The parent asked if anyone has a knife. One of the Scouts offered up his knife. I cringed as the parent started using the tip of the knife to jimmy loose the stuck pole. I was thinking "I'm glad that's not my knife."

Then I notice that the Scout's knife looked just like my son's Kabar Dozier Spearpoint that I'd given him.

The parent handed the knife back to the Scout. I asked if that was my son's knife. It was! I had the Scout give it back to my son, and then I inspected it. Luckily - Amazingly - it wasn't damaged. I told my son in no uncertain terms that its a good rule not to loan out a knife.

It turned out that the other Scout had forgotten to bring a knife. Since my son usually brings both the Kabar and a SAK, he loaned the Kabar to the other Scout, who in turn handed it off to the "knife-killer".

My rule is simple - I don't loan out my knife. Ever.

I have the same rule with my tractor. If someone needs material moved (using the tractor's front end loader), I don't let them use the tractor. I come with the tractor and do the work for them.

Same with my popup camper.

Ken K.