I think this discussion borders on TEOTWAWKI.

Protecting yourself from someone attacking you in a vehicle is just being aware of your surroundings, and most importantly: Knowing how your maximize the power your vehicle has(we will refer to this as your 1 TON Weapon). Most people routinely accelerate "mildly" and hover very close to the speed limit. Most people will not know how their vehicle accelerates, brakes (and how quickly their pads/shoes will become ineffective) or corners. Do you?

There are at least 2 places in the U.S. you can get defensive driving. They also provide training on "protective driving", as though you are the driver of a vehicle containing a V.I.P. you need to protect from harm. These courses are expensive to discourage just anyone from attending.

Oh and back to your example, this is a situation where you are clearly outnumbered. The only way to survive this is with greater firepower and training. Me, I'm going to assume I'm going to be dead. If I'm going to die, I'm going to try and take a few with me. Not quite sure what I would do if I had a loved one with me.