CBTENGR:

My personal philosophy, and the one I live and work by is this: your LBE is your survival kit. Mission may dicate that you have to drop your rucksack for a while, but your rifle and LBE should always be on you - it should never leave your body whether sleeping, eating, or taking care of bodily functions.

Although your unit SOP may vary, your personal SOP should dictate that you always carry a minimum of 1. weapon and ammunition, 2. water, 3. a knife, 4. a map and compass, 5. a firestarting tool, and 5. blowout/first aid kit.

For greenside (woods/desert) patrolling, I use a chest rig equipped with the following, in no particular order:
8x - M4 magazines
2x - Nalgene bottles w/ stainless steel cup (far superior to military issue canteens, but be mindful of color)
1x - IR strobe
1x - Air Panel
1x - Silva Ranger Compass
1x - Blowout/F.A. Kit
1x - Map Kit, including map, map pens, protractor, and red-lense flashlight
1x - Gerber Multi-tool
1x - Surefire G2
1x - Small Altoids Tin-style survival kit containing
a. small Bic lighter
b. Magnesium fire starter
c. 10' 550 cord
d. Small Gerber Knife (can't remember model)
e. small fishing kit
f. snare-wire (from military trip-wire kit)
g. button compass
h. other items I can't remember off the top of my head...but you get the idea
1x - "Rite-in-the-Rain" tablet and pencil

In addition I have my standard pocket items including:
1x - Emerson CQC-7BW
1x - ID card
1x - Chapstick (absolute necessity for me in arid desert environments)
1x - Luminox watch with Suunto M6 watchband compass

If you get caught with your ruck off, or have to drop it in order to get out of Dodge, you will have what you need to fight and stay alive for a while. Military survival differs from civilian survival on a few specific points, like keeping fires concealed, being EXTREMELY selective about who you signal, etc. I don't know your background or level of training, but with adequate equipment, some knowledge, and a cargo pocket full of common sense you should be okay.

If you are a small unit leader, implement this philosophy among your men. Make sure they are never without the minimum. Train like you fight. In the heat of battle you will NOT rise to the occasion - you will default to your level of training.

I'll try to get a pic or two on here this afternoon. Hope this helps.