I was just reading through the "Nov-long term prepare" thread and it got me thinking about the type of foods to store for that long-term-staying-put option (the one I favor).

Long-term preparedness seems to rely heavily on storing masses of dried beans, rice, and pasta. I know they can keep nearly indefinitely with minimal preparation, but I see two problems - fuel, or lack of fuel, and nutrition in the long-term.

1) Especially with rice and beans, they can take a long time to cook = lots of fuel required. Those with acres of forest and a woodstove may have no worries, but for others, the quicker-cooking options may need to be considered.

2) Nutrition - if we are talking about a long-term situation (waiting for crops to grow, etc.) Staying healthy in the meantime becomes more meaningful. For the fuel-needy who have resorted to the "instant" versions of rice, grits, etc,, consider that they lose much of their nutritional value in the processing.
- Diets heavy in carbs will have negative effects eventually (the fact that rice and beans make a complete protein notwithstanding).
- I haven't read of too many here storing vitamins - maybe because of relatively short shelf life.

This is a thoughtful group. How are you addressing these issues?