Jim and Frenchy: I only did it once, just to see if it would work. I slept on it just fine. And no, the carabiner didn't slip. I just passed the line three or four times through the gate so the line was spiralled around the back rod of the carabiner. The tension worked to lock the carabiner in place.

This was using an Explorer model, which has the thicker line. But I'm betting it would work with the thin line models as well.

I don't use the HH much any more, as I really prefer top loaders. I think the Claytor Mosquito Hammock is the best commercially available hammock of that type.

Lately I've been using a hammock I designed myself. It's just like the Claytor hammocks -- three layers of material. Two nylon body layers and one mosquito netting layer. These are folded and sewn together to create a casing along the head and foot. But unlike the Claytor, mine isn't sewn or zippered along any of the long sides.

The netting is closed by clipping on a single loop of shock cord that runs underneath the hammock at the middle (i.e. under my butt). The rest of the netting presses itself against the sides of the body.

Also, I use a double-ring attached to my hammock body to lock onto a nylon strap that I wrap around the tree. It's just like a belt works, only a bit bigger.

If you want to read about every possible way of hanging an HH (or any other hammock for that matter) take a look at:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php

Bear