I'm not sure about inflation clauses, excellent question, but my guess is that it's doubtful. There's inherent risk in trading currency, and the dollar has enjoyed a tremendous run as the worlds backup currency for decades. I think that run may be at an end and the local and global consequences will show up soon.

Just look at Zimbabwe's alarming inflation and the utter economic devestation it has caused. I might also add, that if history is any indicator (and it is) - every fiat currency EVER created has failed in precisely the same way. It sounds good up front, you can drive expansion and growth, up until leaders with no restraint take it to the next level. A return to a gold and/or silver standard would be the only way to hold politicians in check from creating money from thin air, devaluing your buying power (the hidden tax I spoke of earlier) by causing rampant inflation.

Actually, the sad thing is that Congress is the ONLY entity granted the power to mint money under the constitution and has no authority to re-grant that authority to some other entity. It has done so in naming the Federal Reserve (neither Federal, nor a "reserve"). So, in reality, the politicians don't really inflate it anymore, the central bankers at the Fed do. Oh, and the Fed no longer reports the M3 to tell the politicians overseeing it how much money they have printed. So when you lose 13 Billion in printed bills in Iraq and nothing comes of it, I wonder just how little a drop in the bucket that was. If that wasn't enough to scare the crap out of anyone who lives in the US or uses US currency, 10 out of the 12 banks that comprise the Fed are owned by non-US entities.

I'd say buy Canadian, but buying any real hard and trade-able goods (gold, silver, bullets, etc.) is the only hedge. And *some* things have gone down in price due to cheaper overseas manufacture, but I do a lot of the shopping for my family and I can assure you that in the last 7 years or so, most things have increased in price quite a bit. I used to be able to take my family of 3 out for a meal for $15. Now I'm lucky to get out for under $25 or $30. The $15 was as recent as 3 years ago.