In the city...yes. In the country...I'd be afraid of pickup trucks and SUVs. I've seen quite a few crashes between compact cars and trucks on the highway, and it usually doesn't end well for the small car or the people inside.

Most people don't realize that crash test rating are based on weight classes, and generally a vehicle in a larger weight class has the advantage over a smaller vehicle, even when the smaller vehicle is rated higher. It's one of the reasons I will never have anything smaller than a full size car as my daily driver.

With that said, from what I've seen Americans, in general, are buying smaller vehicles. It might just be in my area (NJ/NY/PA), but not to long ago it seemed like every middle aged woman drove a Tahoe, Explorer, 4Runner, ect. Now I see a lot more small crossovers and sporty/luxury cars. Even guys are buying more cars now that most manufacturers offer AWD models (though pickups are still extremely popular). I think it will be a long time before the streets are filled with smart cars, but a lot of people seem to be looking at smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles. Which, is probably a step in the right direction.